The practice of cleansing the internal environment of the body has been around a long time. The most ancient organized methods of healing, Ayurveda and Acupuncture/Moxibustion, list a very specific detoxifying regimen among their recommended regular health practices. Both of these traditional disciplines recommend systemic cleansing four times per year as a way of promoting and maintaining optimal health. In these philosophies, seasons are associated with different organs and systems of the body, and restorative cleansing during seasonal changes enhances the health and vitality of those organs and systems.
Jump forward a few thousand years and we find ourselves in a world replete with toxic exposure. The typical American diet and exposure to some 80,000 chemicals in use in this country leaves us exposed to toxins that can overwhelm our body’s natural cleansing mechanism. Moreover, each season delivers its own stressors to our individual systems. In the summer we swim in chlorinated pools, slather sun block on our skin and eat barbecued everything. Fall brings us to Halloween candy, Thanksgiving turkey overload and the indulgences of the holiday season. Winter finds us stuck indoors with sealed houses, central heating, reduced physical activity and heavier foods. In spring the blooming flora bring a host of allergens to our systems.
Perhaps this is why the practice of detoxifying the body has become popular again and is actually gaining traction among conventional practitioners as a gentle, safe way to improve health and well being. That said, in light of our relative inexperience with internal cleansing, it makes sense that we look to ancient wisdom for guidance and practice their approach by gently cleansing three to four times per year between seasons.
Here are some of the known benefits of a good detoxification program:
- Weight Loss – This is probably the most common reason for people to use a cleanse. Users report losing up to 20 pounds in a month. Theories for this range from the removal of congested waste products and fecal matter to the release of fluids that build up in the tissues and colon to dilute accumulated toxins.
- Improved Liver Function – Toxicity congests the liver and interferes with its ability to perform those 500+ functions that are essential to our health and well being. A clean, clear, high functioning liver is essential to optimal health and well being.
- Improved Immune Function – Toxins stored in the body are inflammatory in nature. Relieving the body of these chronic inflammatory agents along with the improved function of the liver leads to a higher functioning immune system.
- Improved Bowel Function and Regularity – Restoring normal bowel motility relieves constipation and minimizes the potential for the absorption of un-eliminated toxins back into the bloodstream.
- Increased Energy – Cleansing the system reduces inflammation and improves liver function, digestion, sleep and immunity. All of these changes contribute to more energy and an improved overall sense of vitality and well being.
Achieving the benefits of seasonal cleansing is as simple as planning when to do so, building it into your schedule and using a well designed program that provides gentle, effective detoxification and fortified nutrition to support your body’s energy and nutritional requirements during the process.
Try this simple program three to four times per year:
The UltraNourish Detox
- Regular meal, preferably home-cooked fresh ingredients
- 2 Colon Cleanser capsules with 8 oz. water
This detox program can be used for 7 to 14 days. During the program it is best to limit or eliminate caffeine, alcohol, sugar and all gluten containing foods. Lunch and dinner can be interchanged. Adequate hydration with pure water is essential. One-half your body weight in fluid ounces is recommended. Upon finishing the detox period, use a high quality probiotic blend such as Ultra Probiotic Formula to re-populate the colon with beneficial organisms. This is a key step in restoring normal bowel motility, digestion and overall strength of the immune system.
* I always begin my new year with a detox program. I find that after the holiday season I am ready for a “clean slate.” As with any new dietary or nutritional program, it is best to consult your physician before embarking on a detox/cleansing regimen.