Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
- Universal antioxidant – can access both the fat and water soluble parts of a cell, seeks out and neutralizes dangerous free radicals*
- Regenerates glutathione as well as other antioxidants - Vitamin C & E and CoQ10*
- Provides support for normal, healthy liver function*
- Plays an indispensable role in creating energy as ATP*
- Supports healthy metabolism of carbs, fats and proteins*
Ships in 1 business day.
What does Alpha Lipoic Acid do?
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is a part of coenzymes that are involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It is called the "universal antioxidant" as it is soluble in both water and fat, therefore is able to work in various parts of the body. As an antioxidant, it is able to scavenge a variety of free radicals and has the ability to extend the activity of vitamin C and vitamin E as well as regenerate the powerful antioxidants CoQ10 and glutathione.* Scientific studies show alpha lipoic acid helps support glucose metabolism, as well as normal, healthy liver function.*
Alpha Lipoic Acid is produced by every cell in the body. Even though it is created by our bodies, there is good evidence that our bodies can lose the ability to synthesize enough when we need it most so many practitioners recommended supplementing with ALA, because it is known to protect - and even restore - the integrity of cells throughout the body.*
Alpha Lipoic Acid = Superantioxidant
Dr. Lester Packer, Antioxidant Research Director of the leading antioxidant research center at the University of California at Berkley, and considered the world's foremost antioxidant research scientist, describes Lipoic Acid in his book The Antioxidant Miracle. Dr. Packer states, "Lipoic Acid is a superantioxidant that breaks many of the rules of antioxidant behavior. If I were to invent an ideal antioxidant, it would closely resemble Lipoic Acid, which does everything an antioxidant should do and more."
Dr. Packer's research has shown:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid, also known as the "Universal Antioxidant," is a powerful free radical scavenger.
Most antioxidants are either fat or water soluble, which means they are not allowed access to all parts of the cell. Because of its unique structure, it is allowed into both the fatty and watery portions of the cell, which greatly enhances its ability to trap free radicals wherever they may be.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid is also able to cross the blood-brain barrier.
The brain is a major producer of free radicals and is therefore particularly vulnerable to oxidative stress. By it being able to cross into the brain area and neutralize free radicals, it reduces oxidative stress and the loss of good brain cells that often contribute to memory loss - thus supporting healthy brain function.
- As the "powerhouse" of cells, mitochondria convert nutrients into cellular energy (ATP), the energy that cells need to function.
With age or disease, mitochondria activity decreases, resulting in lower energy production, slower metabolism, increased oxidative stress and cell damage. Studies have shown that supplementation with Alpha Lipoic Acid:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid helps produce more antioxidants.
In addition to acting as a potent antioxidant on its own, it also stimulates production of glutathione “the most important water soluble antioxidant“ and serves to regenerate other antioxidants like vitamin E and vitamin C, as well as itself. This unique ability to restore itself and other antioxidants is one of the reasons Alpha Lipoic Acid is so important in maintaining our antioxidant advantage and promoting and sustaining overall good health.
Neutralizes free radicals*
Helps provide support for normal, healthy liver function*
Supports mitochondrial function and metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins*
Is essential for supporting normal, healthy blood sugar levels and healthy insulin function*
Regenerates other antioxidants in the body particularly vitamins C & E, CoQ10 and glutathione*
Supports normal, healthy nerve function*
In addition, Alpha Lipoic Acid protects the liver for a variety of reasons:
- Solubility - Unlike other antioxidants, it is both fat and water-soluble.
- Regeneration - Regenerates other antioxidants so they can function once again.
- Boosts Glutathione - A primary function of Alpha Lipoic Acid is to increase the body's production of glutathione, which helps support the liver.
- Supports Normal Liver Enzymes - According to research by Drs. Fredrick C. Bartter and Burton M. Berkson.
Alpha Lipoic Acid should be at the top of everyone's wellness regimen.
Take 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with meals. At this recommended dosage one bottle will last between 15 to 30 days.
Please consult with a health care professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a medical condition, are currently taking prescription drugs, or are pregnant or breastfeeding.