Alpha R-Lipoic Acid (ALA)
The most potent and effective form of Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Universal antioxidant – can access both the fat and water soluble parts of a cell, seeks out and neutralize dangerous free radicals*
- Boosts glutathione levels
- Supports liver enzyme levels already within the normal range*
- Increases energy and supports a healthy metabolism*
Ships in 1 business day.
What is Alpha R-Lipoic Acid and how does it differ from other forms of Lipoic Acid?
Lipoic Acid exists in three forms: Alpha R-Lipoic Acid, Alpha S-Lipoic Acid andAlpha RS-Lipoic Acid. Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is the "fully active" form of Lipoic Acid. Research indicates that Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is the proper, structural fit for membrane receptors and enzymes; therefore, it is metabolized more efficiently and with much greater potency than other forms.
What does Alpha R-Lipoic Acid do?
Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is a naturally occurring antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals.
A free radical is an atom or molecule with at least one unpaired electron. The free radical attacks neighboring molecules in an effort to "steal" an electron in order to return it to its natural state. In this process, it turns the neighboring molecule into a free radical which, in turn, sets off a chain reaction that wreaks havoc on cells.
Alpha R-Lipoic Acid does everything an antioxidant should do - and more!
Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is produced by every cell in the body. Even though Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is created by our bodies, there is good evidence that our bodies can lose the ability to synthesize enough when we need it most. Therefore, it is included in many practitioner's recommended health regimens, because it is known to protect - and even restore - the integrity of cells throughout the body. Supplementation is recommended and can produce profound therapeutic benefits.
Alpha R-Lipoic Acid: Superantioxidant
Dr. Lester Packer, Antioxidant Research Director of the leading antioxidant research center at the University of California at Berkley, and considered the world's foremost antioxidant research scientist, describes Lipoic Acid in his book The Antioxidant Miracle. Dr. Packer states, "Lipoic Acid is a superantioxidant that breaks many of the rules of antioxidant behavior. If I were to invent an ideal antioxidant, it would closely resemble Lipoic Acid, which does everything an antioxidant should do and more."
Dr. Packer's research has shown:
- Alpha R-Lipoic Acid, also known as the "Universal Antioxidant," is a powerful free radical scavenger.
Most antioxidants are either fat or water soluble, which means they are not allowed access to all parts of the cell. Because of its unique structure, it is allowed into both the fatty and watery portions of the cell, which greatly enhances its ability to trap free radicals wherever they may be.
- Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is also able to cross the blood-brain barrier.
The brain is a major producer of free radicals and is therefore particularly vulnerable to oxidative stress. By it being able to cross into the brain area and neutralize free radicals, it reduces oxidative stress and the loss of good brain cells that often contribute to memory loss - thus supporting healthy brain function.
- As the "powerhouse" of cells, mitochondria convert nutrients into cellular energy (ATP), the energy that cells need to function.
With age or disease, mitochondria activity decreases, resulting in lower energy production, slower metabolism, increased oxidative stress and cell damage. Clinical studies have shown that supplementation with Alpha R-Lipoic Acid:
- Alpha R-Lipoic Acid helps produce more antioxidants naturally.
In addition to acting as a potent antioxidant on its own, it also stimulates production of glutathione “the most important water soluble antioxidant“ and serves to regenerate other antioxidants like vitamin E and vitamin C, as well as itself. This unique ability to restore itself and other antioxidants is one of the reasons Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is so important in maintaining our antioxidant advantage and promoting and sustaining overall good health.
Supports mitochondrial function and metabolism*
Neutralizes free radicals*
In addition, Alpha R-Lipoic Acid protects the liver for a variety of reasons:
- Solubility - Unlike other antioxidants, it is both fat and water-soluble.
- Regeneration - It may help to regenerate other antioxidants so they can function once again.
- Boosts Glutathione - A primary function of Alpha R-Lipoic Acid is to increase the body's production of glutathione, which helps support the liver.
- Supports Normal Liver Enzymes - According to research by Drs. Fredrick C. Bartter and Burton M. Berkson.
Alpha R-Lipoic Acid should be at the top of everyone's wellness regimen.
Take 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with meals. At this recommended dosage one bottle will last between 15 to 30 days.
Please consult with a health care professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a medical condition, are currently taking prescription drugs, or are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Other Ingredients: Rice Flour, Silica & Vegetarian Capsule