Most people know that bananas are a wonderful, healthy food that can be easily grabbed for a quick midday, on-the-go snack. They can also be cooked in a variety of ways. Bananas are generally known to be rich in magnesium, potassium and a great source of fiber.
What most people don’t realize is that the banana peels offer even more health benefits than the fruit itself!
Generally, bananas taste better when they ripen fully. The peel becomes very yellow and begins to show small, discolored, even brown spots on it. (To ripen bananas quickly, place them in a paper bag on the counter.) Bananas should never be stored in the refrigerator as it quickly over-ripens them.
Banana peels don’t taste nearly as good as the ripe fruit, but can be pureed and added to smoothies or to deserts and even breads.
Nutritional Benefits in Bananas and Banana Peels
- Bananas and banana peel extract have been shown to have significant antioxidant effects and excellent free radical scavenging capacity, which supports liver function and immunity. If you’re looking for support for your immune system, consider trying Natural Wellness’ Immune System Support.
- Bananas and peels are rich sources of magnesium, which is essential for proper muscle function.
- They are also a wonderful source of potassium (without the high salt), an essential electrolyte necessary for normal cellular function.
- Also found in banana peels: Vitamins B6 and B12 support the adrenal functions and immune systems, and help prevent anemia by supporting healthy blood cellular generation.
- Iron aids in reducing muscle cramps and swelling and supports healthy blood platelet production.
- Banana peels offer even higher levels of fiber than the fruit itself.
- Also found in banana peels: tryptophan which is necessary to produce serotonin, which supports a healthy mood and reduces depression. Another natural approach to supporting a healthy and consistent mood is with Natural Wellness’ Healthy Mood.
Bananas have always been known as a healthy food that can be eaten as a quick snack or added to other foods and smoothies. We are now learning that the banana peels offer even higher nutritional and fiber values than the fruit itself! While they do not taste as good, they can easily be pureed and added to cooked foods and smoothies.
Click here for delicious smoothie recipes that incorporate bananas and UltraNourish (just add banana peels for further health benefits!).
Editor’s Warning: Banana peels are often sprayed with a compound to prolong shelf life that may contain shell fish and may be sprayed with insecticides.