After a long day, there are few things more relaxing than a nice hot cup of tea. While many teas contain caffeine and can be quite stimulating – many herbal teas actually contain compounds that are relaxing and promote better quality sleep. A good night’s sleep is essential in combating stress and stress-related health problems. Sleep allows the body to recover and repair itself, making it a key element in our health and wellness.
The Best Teas to Help You Sleep and Relax
- Chamomile Tea – Both German chamomile and Roman chamomile teas have been used traditionally for sleeplessness, anxiety, and gastrointestinal problems such as stomach upset and diarrhea. Chamomile tea is one of the oldest and most documented herbal teas, and its calming properties make it one of the most popular herbal teas throughout the world – about a million cups per day being enjoyed.
- Spearmint Tea – Commonly used as a flavor additive, spearmint is an excellent anti-inflammatory tea that is great for calming digestive symptoms, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), bile duct and gallbladder swelling (inflammation) and gallstones. Spearmint is also excellent for calming headaches. Spearmint should be used in moderation as too much can irritate the kidneys and liver.
- Lemon Balm Tea – A lemon scented herb, lemon balm contains several compounds which have been shown to have positive effects on mood and cognitive function and a calming effect on the central nervous system. These anti-anxiety properties lasted for several hours.
- Valerian Tea – 30% to 40% of adults have trouble sleeping, and valerian has been shown to safely and effectively improve the quality of sleep in those who drink it. In fact, in many studies, the use of valerian was found to almost double the incidents of better sleep.
- Lemongrass Tea – Antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial, lemongrass is also a wonderful anti-inflammatory agent. In addition to being great for digestive problems, lemongrass is also excellent at relaxing muscle cramps and spasms, supporting the feeling of relaxation and rest.
- Passion Flower Tea – Used as a supplement for anxiety, stress and sleep problems, passion flower has been proven effective in reducing insomnia and increasing the ability to fall and stay asleep.
- Rose Petals Tea – Rose petals, and rose tea, have an amazing aroma and taste but also relieve insomnia, stress, depression and fatigue.
These herbal teas are each wonderful independently, but can be enjoyed together in an an amazing blend that can reduce anxiety and stress while enhancing rest and restorative sleep. Change into those pajamas, turn down the bed and enjoy a cup tonight!