The foods we eat can greatly impact our health. Physically, people with healthy dietary habits have a reduced risk of chronic disease, are less likely to be obese, and tend to enjoy a longer life. (1) Our diet also affects us mentally, with certain foods having the ability to change the way we feel and even behave. (2)
If you want to improve your health, one habit to consider developing is to increase your intake of superfoods. If this is a new term to you, we’ll first explain what superfoods are. Then we dive into the benefits of this food type, which you may be missing out on if you don’t have enough of them in your diet.
What’s A Superfood?
The Cleveland Clinic explains that superfoods are essentially “a category of super-charged, super-healthy foods.” (3) These are foods that are high in nutrients while, at the same time, typically not containing a lot of calories. They’re also rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, with some superfoods containing a good amount of fiber, healthy fats, and flavonoids.
Food items that have earned the title of being a superfood include: blueberries, avocado, spinach, watermelon, quinoa, salmon, sweet potato, broccoli, tomatoes, beans, and legumes. Flaxseed, chia seeds, and green tea are also on this list.
6 Benefits Of Superfoods
Research has connected superfoods with a variety of advantages. Here are some of the top superfood benefits to consider:
- Enhanced immunity. Do you tend to catch every cold and flu that goes around? Superfoods may keep you from coming down with the latest bug or reduce the symptoms if you do happen to get it, particularly when the superfood has probiotic properties. (4) Yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, and miso are all probiotic superfoods.
- Reduced disease risk. Some researchers indicate that adding more superfoods to our diets can help prevent cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and osteoporosis, reducing the need for treating these conditions and improving the health of the population overall. (5)
- Greater blood sugar control. A benefit of superfoods that contain leucine is improved control over your blood sugar levels. (6) Foods that fall in this category include sesame seeds, peanuts, dry lentils, chicken, fish, and cottage cheese.
- Healthier skin. As we get older, our skin ages as well. For many, this often includes developing wrinkles, the new appearance of dark or light spots, and the skin becoming less firm. Superfoods containing amino acids (like quinoa, hemp seeds, chickpeas, and tuna) help support skin health, regulate aging, and promote smoother, younger-looking skin. (7)
- Better kidney and liver function. Superfoods high in phosphorus support healthy kidney function. (4) This includes chicken, turkey, nuts, sunflower seeds, and whole grains. Some also consider black rice an emerging superfood, in part, because it helps improve liver cell damage. (8)
- Improved mental health. Nutritional deficiencies play a key role in mood and energy while high-calorie processed foods are associated with depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions. (9) So, consuming more superfoods—which are high in nutrients and minimally processed, if at all—can have a positive impact on your mental health.
How to Get More Superfoods in Your Diet
One way to increase your superfood intake is to include more of these items in your diet. Have a berry, nut, and yogurt parfait for breakfast or, if you want something heartier, start your day with a cup of oatmeal topped with strawberries and blackberries.
For lunch, you might have a chicken and spinach salad, mushroom and kale soup, or avocado on toast. A superfood dinner could include seed-encrusted chicken or salmon with a side of quinoa or brown rice.
You can also add superfood-rich snacks to your meal plan, such as hummus and carrots, berry granola, or a fruit-based smoothie. For dessert, you might enjoy a berry tart, a slice of avocado cake, or frozen yogurt.
When a Superfood Supplement May Help – Green Superfood Powder Benefits
If you have trouble fitting enough superfoods into your diet, you may want to consider a superfood supplement. Supplements can help close nutritional gaps while also being convenient to take.
Natural Wellness offers a Superfood Greens Complex which supplies a variety of green superfoods in powder form. This complex contains blends made from flaxseed, berries, broccoli, spinach, green tea, and more.
Like other Natural Wellness supplements, this superfood supplement is manufactured in the U.S.A. in a FDA-registered facility using Current Good Manufacturing Practices.