A healthy diet plays a key role in overall health and especially in heart health. Eating right can help us maintain a healthy weight, as well as provide the proper nutrients, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds our body needs to keep our heart going strong.
9 Foods to Optimize Heart Health
- Fish – Rich in omega-3s, salmon and mackerel are great for heart health.
- Nuts – Full of omega-3s and fiber, nuts offer a great snacking option.
- Berries – Berries are full of antioxidants, which help clear out free radicals in our body, as well as deliver fiber and vitamins A and C, both of which are linked to lower risk of stroke. In a 2011 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers found that one serving of blueberries per week can significantly reduce the risk of hypertension. Find out 7 more great reason to eat blueberries.
- Red Wine – While too much alcohol is damaging (and anyone with a compromised liver should not drink alcohol at all), red wine contains antioxidants, flavonoids and a substance called resveratrol, which is linked to a healthy heart.
- Dark Chocolate – Cocoa (at least 70%) contains flavanols, which has an antioxidant effect that reduces the cell damage common in heart disease and can help lower blood pressure and improve vascular function.
- Spinach and Kale – Dark leafy greens are chock full of vitamins A, C and K – all of which are excellent antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties, making them amazing for heart health.
- Cabbage – Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage contain phytonutrients and antioxidants, which support heart health and remove free radicals. They are also high in fiber, reducing fat accumulation and absorption.
- Tomatoes – High in vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber, tomatoes also contain high levels of lycopene, which reduces inflammation and supports heart health. Learn more about how tomatoes promote a healthy heart.
- Avocado – Avocados are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health. Discover more health benefits of the almighty avocado.
Editor’s Note: Super Omega-3 Fish Oil may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Learn more about the health benefits of supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids.