What’s not to love about Halloween? You dress up and get to eat candy all day. Besides deciding what to wear, candy is the next big decision to make. Everyone has their favorite and least favorites and no one likes to be the one with the subpar candy selection.
However, some people don’t think of it that way and simply want to make their decision based on which is the healthiest. If you’re trying to avoid candy all together, it’s near impossible because it is everywhere you turn.
For those who want to have the ‘good candy’ here’s a list of the 10 most popular of the season:
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Kit Kats
- Milky Ways
- Tootsie Rolls
Of course some of these have no nutritional value whatsoever. But you’ll be surprised to find out which of these are somewhat beneficial…
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups aren’t too bad for you. They have more peanut butter than chocolate, giving them good fats and proteins. The calories aren’t bad either, compared to others. In one regular sized cup there are only 88 calories, 5g of fat and 2g of protein. They also provide vitamin A, folate, cholin, calcium, and potassium, along with 381mg of Omega 6 fatty acids.
- No laughing matter. You’d be surprised to know that Snickers is another candy that has some benefits. Again, it’s mostly the peanuts that offer the good stuff. The calories and fat are high, but you get a good amount of protein, vitamin A, and calcium.
- Kit Kats are high in calories and fat. You get some protein, along with vitamin A and potassium.
- Mm, maybe not… With plain M&Ms you’re not getting a whole lot except for tons of calories and fat. There’s not much protein and the only good you’re really getting is a minimal amount of calcium, riboflavin, and copper. The same goes for Peanut M&Ms, except you get more protein.
- Scary nutrition! Twizzlers are another candy that do not provide much except for calories, sugar, and sodium.
- No way! Milky Ways have more vitamin A, calcium, and potassium than any of the other candies listed here. But they also have an extremely high sodium, fat and sugar content. One thing that could make it seem better is that there are 134mg of Omega 6 fatty acids.
- The only thing Skittles have going for them is a decent amount of vitamin C and potassium. Other than that they are loaded with calories, sugar, and fat.
- In one Butterfinger bar there are only 96 calories and 4g of fat. This is a good choice if you’re counting calories, but in the way of other benefits, it doesn’t really have any. However, there are 46mg of potassium per bar and some folate, so it’s not all bad. A surprising thing about Butterfingers – they contain 664mg of Omega 6 fatty acids per bar!
- Spooky! Nerds are basically just sugar. With that alone they’re not a good choice.
- Tootsie Rolls are actually not too bad. They have a good amount of calcium and Omega 6 fatty acids. They’re low in calories and fat, but high in sugar.
Healthiest Halloween Bite
So, not all candies are as bad as we might have thought. Those that contain peanuts seem to be the best choices. All of these things considered, I would have to say that the healthiest choice of these ten candies are Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. They’re low in calories and provide the most vitamins and minerals out of any other of these candies. They also have a fair amount of essential fatty acids. If you have to pick just one candy to enjoy this season go for the peanut butter cups.
We want to know – What’s YOUR favorite Halloween treat? Comment below!