Healthy Fruits and Vegetables to Try This Season
- Watermelon – 90% water, watermelon is a great way to quench your thirst while enjoying a sweet treat. Watermelon is also high in lycopene, a phytonutrient that is especially good for cardiovascular health. Learn more about the amazing health benefits of watermelon!
- Strawberries – Berries in general have high antioxidant properties, and strawberries are no exception. Their light, fresh flavor is also especially nice in summer.
- Blueberries – High in antioxidants, blueberries have been shown to be beneficial in maintaining cognitive function and memory. Discover all 8 reasons why it’s great to eat blueberries!
- Cantaloupe – An excellent source of vitamins A and C, cantaloupe is also an excellent source of fiber.
- Honeydew Melon – Jam packed with 120% of recommended vitamin A and 108% of vitamin C, the honeydew melon is a light, fresh fruit to enjoy in summer.
- Grapes – High in antioxidants, grapes are also high in potassium, fiber and contain resveratrol. They have been shown to be helpful in fighting many health problems including cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and can be used for skin care. Grapes are excellent for heart health!
- Cherries – Cherries contain strong pain relieving compounds, and are commonly used in those suffering from gout.
- Nectarine – Sweeter and firmer than peaches, nectarines contain carotenes, flavonoids and potassium.
- Peaches – With a light, sweet flavor, peaches are rich in vitamin A and potassium as well as fiber.
- Plums – High in antioxidants, plumbs are sweeter than peaches and nectarines and are also high in vitamins A, B, C and K. They also offer high fiber content.
- Peas – Peas offer a great source of protein, as well as a great source of fiber. They also offer vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin C, phosphorus, and folate. UltraNourish™ contains pea protein!
- Rhubarb – Packed with phytonutrients, rhubarb offers folates, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.
- Arugula – Arugula is an excellent source of thiamin, vitamins B6, A, C, K, zinc, copper, folate, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- Swiss Chard – A rich source of vitamins A, C, E, K, B2 and B6, magnesium, copper, potassium, and iron, Swiss chard is also a very good source of dietary fiber and choline.
- Tomatoes – Known for their antioxidant properties, tomatoes offer high concentrations of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, they are also high in vitamin C.
- Cucumber – Cucumber has been shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and they are cooling and soothing during the hot summer months.
- Eggplant – Eggplants contain nasunin, a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage. It is especially good for brain health.
- Peppers – An excellent source of capaicin, peppers have excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Zucchini – An excellent source of vitamins C and B6, zuchhini can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- Asparagus – Containing saponins, asparanin A, sarsasapogenin, and protodioscin, asparagus is a great anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer food. It has also been shown to lower blood sugar.
These are just some of the wonderful fruits and vegetables available in the summer, so fire up that grill and start chopping and tossing that salad to enjoy these wonderful fruits and vegetables this summer.
Editor’s Note: UltraNourish™ contains the protein, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, probiotics and more that are missing from your daily diet, in the proper amounts to provide you maximum health benefit. Altogether, there are 43 specially picked superfoods and essential nutrients in every scoop of UltraNourish.