In the past 10 years or so the use of probiotic supplements has gone from a controversial practice espoused by the lunatic fringe of nutritional therapeutics to a widely accepted tool in the maintenance of general health and well-being. Over time research has demonstrated the important role that a balanced gut microbiome plays in immune function, digestion, excretion and nutrient absorption. But the normal balance of the 100 trillion microorganisms that inhabit the bowel is delicate and easily disrupted by such influences as: poor diet, environmental toxins, medications and a stressful lifestyle. When it occurs, floral imbalance in the colon can contribute to all manner of disorders including: constipation and diarrhea, serious infections of the digestive tract such as C. diff., inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), yeast infections, urinary tract infections, inflammatory reactions and even depression.
Probiotic supplementation has become a common intervention for treatment all of these conditions and more. But there is another way in which using probiotics can improve your life – they can make you more beautiful.
Here are 5 ways in which probiotics will enhance your physical appearance:
- Clear Complexion – Research has shown that the anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties of probiotics suppress growth of the bacteria and the inflammation that contribute to acne. Positive results were achieved in as little as two weeks.
- Less Wrinkles – More and stronger collagen fibers, reduced dryness and irritation, better hydration, and the elimination of toxins and free radicals are all effects of probiotics that are thought to contribute to a smoother, more youthful complexion.
- Healthy Hair – One study demonstrated thicker, shinier and more lustrous hair in the subjects who were fed probiotics.
- Strong Fingernails – Probiotics aid in the digestion and absorption of the amino acids that are necessary for strong, clear, flexible nails.
- Weight Loss – Balanced microflora in the gut will prevent the excess absorption of calories seen when the “bad bacteria” are overpopulated. In addition, probiotics will help reduce the cravings for carbohydrates that lead to obesity.
A major study referred to the changes induced by probiotic supplementation as inducing a “glow of health” in test subjects. While the researcher’s expressed poor understanding of the nature of that glow, they indicated that the skin and hair changes “mimicked peak health and reproductive fitness characteristics of a much younger subject.” It’s a small leap to conclude that these changes are part and parcel of that younger appearance.
Use these two simple steps to add probiotics into your daily regimen and start creating a more beautiful you today:
- Regularly eat more fermented food, including: yogurt, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, etc.
- Supplement your diet daily with a well-designed probiotic formula that contains at least 5 billion organisms per dose and prebiotic components to support the growth and re-population of good bacteria in your colon.