People who don’t suffer from seasonal allergies think they’re no big deal — it’s just a case of the sniffles, right? But allergy sufferers know that spring can bring pure, full-body torture: A constantly running nose, burning eyes, itching all over, overwhelming fatigue and awful congestion that makes you think you’ll never breathe freely again!
You might think the solution to your seasonal allergies is simply to take one of the many allergy medications that are available. However, you should be aware that prescription and over the counter allergy medications are not for everyone: Some of these medicines are toxic to the liver, so those with compromised liver function should try to avoid them. For example, popular allergy drugs like Zyrtec, Nasonex, Singulair and Clarinex are all known to either elevate liver enzyme levels or actually contribute to liver damage.
Even if your liver is functioning normally, it pays off to support ongoing liver health. The liver plays an important role in immune response and can help reduce your allergy symptoms.
To keep your liver happy and healthy while enjoying a bit of relief from seasonal allergies, try one of these six natural remedies:
- Use a neti pot — You can use a traditional Indian neti pot or a more modern, plastic version from the pharmacy, but the effect is the same: You mix about a half teaspoon of noniodized salt with warm water in your neti pot, lean over your sink with your head cocked to one side, and let the saltwater flow into one nostril and out the other. Allergens are rinsed away, so your allergic response is lessened. This also works for general sinus congestion.
- Try some herbal support — Stinging nettle and butterbur are both natural antihistamines that work in much the same way as Zyrtec or Claritin, but without the drowsiness.
- Get your omega-3s — Regular consumption of foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, walnuts and flaxseed oil, may help reduce allergy symptoms.
- Give homeopathic treatments a try — Sometimes you can change the way your body responds to allergens by introducing a small amount of a substance that produces symptoms. For example, although onions can make your eyes tear up and burn like nobody’s business, a homeopathic remedy based on onions can help relieve watery, itchy eyes. Sinus Clear, a natural product that contains several botanical extracts, works on this principle.
- Try probiotics — Friendly bacteria like acidophilus not only improve your digestion and your body’s overall immune response, but can also help reduce allergic reactions.
- Follow an anti-inflammatory diet — Try the Mediterranean diet, which is rich in vegetables, fruits, healthy oils and fish.
Support your overall health and the health of your liver, and you’ll feel better faster!
Want to learn more? Sign up for our newsletter and receive healthy recipes, lifestyle suggestions for reduced stress and a healthy heart, and tips on exercising, maintaining a healthy weight, beating fatigue, decreasing joint pain — and more.