Feeling fatigued and tired makes for a lousy day. There are many factors that lead to feeling fatigued, including several health conditions, poor diet, lack of sleep, allergies and drug interactions. While we can’t always control all the factors that lead to that tired feeling, we can make sure to get enough of the main vitamins and minerals necessary to keep us going.
6 Vitamins and Minerals to Boost Your Energy
- B Vitamins: B vitamins are an essential group of vitamins that help your body in maintaining healthy nerve and red blood cells, which oxygenate your body, prevent anemia, and aid in metabolizing food for energy in your body.
- Vitamin E: A fat soluble nutrient, vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant which acts as a free radical scavenger and is essential for a healthy immune system. More than that, vitamin E acts to strengthen and widen blood vessels, improving circulation and cardiovascular function. Improvement in cardiovascular function works to improve your energy levels overall.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is vital for protein metabolism, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose and blood pressure regulation, and is required for energy production in your body.
- Potassium: Potassium is necessary for your body to utilize proteins, break down and metabolize carbohydrates, maintain muscle, and aids in controlling proper function in your heart – all of which are necessary to maintain energy.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is critical in many functions in your body, including immunity, body development, and mood regulation. In terms of energy, it is critical for proper function in your mitochondria, the “power house” of the cells where glucose and oxygen make energy that run the cells, and therefore all the muscles in your body.
- Iron: Your body needs iron to produce hemoglobin in red blood cells and myoglobin in muscle cells, necessary to oxygenate your body. Low iron often results in anemia. Fatigue is a major symptom of anemia.
Ensuring you get enough of these energy-critical vitamins and minerals is important to maintaining energy throughout the day. It is often difficult to get proper nutrition when we are on the run in our busy lives, and supplements like Vitamin D and Vitamin E can make a big difference in keeping us revved up and ready to go!