With dementia and Alzheimer’s disease affecting over 5 million people in the United States, many are looking to improve their diets in an effort to avoid loss of cognitive function later in life. Studies have shown that a healthy diet is, in fact, linked to better memory (both long term and short term), and improved cognitive function later in life.
Boost Brain Power With These Foods
- Whole Grains – Our brain uses carbohydrates for fuel, so we do need some in our diet. Choosing whole grains gives us sustained energy over time rather than forcing our liver to store it as fat.
- Avocados and Olive Oil – Along with other nuts and seeds, avocados and olive oil give us healthy fats (HDLs), which reduce inflammation and protect brain cells from oxidation.
- Fish – Specifically salmon and sardines, fatty fish contain high levels of omega-3s which the brain needs to develop and function optimally.
- Tomatoes and Watermelon – High in lycopene, both tomatoes and watermelon help maintain brain health by slowing down brain cell degeneration and increasing function.
- Eggs – Egg yolks contain choline, one of the building blocks for acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential to our “working memory.” Natural Wellness’ Brain Support contains choline.
- Berries – Antioxidant-rich blueberries, blackberries and strawberries have been shown to improve memory and cognitive function.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to improve short term memory. Natural Wellness’ Milk Thistle with Artichoke & Turmeric and Turmeric 95 contain turmeric standardized to 95 percent curcumin. Learn about the multiple reasons to use turmeric.
It can be difficult to get all the necessary vitamins and nutrition we need for a healthy brain. UltraNourish offers a convenient way to be sure you get your fruits and vegetables along with antioxidants and 16 grams of pea protein to ensure proper nutrition for body and mind alike!
Editor’s Note: Improve mental focus, concentration and memory today and for years to come with Natural Wellness’ Brain Support.