We all try to exercise regularly, but sometimes it can feel like a gigantic effort to drag ourselves into the gym. For morning exercisers, a healthy breakfast can go a long way towards making that early AM workout feel doable. For late day exercisers, a healthy snack can give you the boost you need to make it to the gym!
Here are a few ideas for energy-boosting foods to help you power through that workout:
- Smoothie – A yogurt and fruit smoothie offers the quick carbohydrates of fruit and a nice punch of protein from the yogurt.
- Bananas – This fruit is rich in potassium which is necessary for muscle function. Bananas are also a great source of carbohydrates and fiber.
- Fruit – A great source of healthy carbohydrates and fiber, fruit gives you a quick energy boost to get through that workout.
- Trail Mix – Go for a trail mix that has a high dried fruit and granola content over one with a lot of seeds and nuts, as you want those carbohydrates for quick energy before your workout.
- Whole Grains – Whole grain bread offers healthy carbohydrates and can be topped with peanut butter and bananas to add some fats and potassium to fuel your body. Just be sure you don’t add too much peanut butter as it has a high fat content.
- Oatmeal – Especially good if you work out in the morning, oatmeal offers carbohydrates with a high fiber content, giving you sustained energy for your workout. Add in some fruit, especially some bananas, and you are ready to go!
Eating right to fuel your day is always a good idea, and becomes even more important when you are pushing your body to its limits in your workout. Relying on high-sugar, high-fat junk food and caffeine is a sure way to set yourself up for an energy crash. By making healthy diet choices you can feel great during your workout and during your day!