The liver is one of the key organs in our bodies and its function impacts our total health and wellness. The liver can be damaged by certain drugs, alcohol consumption, and even a high fat diet in the case of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Exposure to environmental chemicals may also take a toll on the health and functioning of the liver.
A healthy diet that supports the body as a whole – and liver function specifically – is important.
Adding herbs to your diet as a healing tea is a great way to get the liver-protecting properties your body needs.
5 Teas for Liver Detoxification
- Milk Thistle Tea – The main component in standard milk thistle is silymarin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Milk thistle is the #1 herb proven to protect the liver from certain drugs and aids the liver in detoxification and repairing itself. Check out Liver Detox Tea which contains milk thistle plus three more of the herbs listed below.
- Turmeric Tea – Turmeric has long been used as treatment for jaundice, gallbladder and liver conditions. Turmeric has been shown to act as a cholagogue, stimulating bile production and encouraging the breakdown of fats while reducing inflammation.
- Dandelion Tea – Studies have shown that treatment with dandelion root and leaf have significantly impacted on the antioxidant enzyme activities and lipid profiles, demonstrating that dandelion aids the liver in breaking down fats. Dandelion also protects against oxidative stress linked to liver damage.
- Chicory Tea – Chicory contains several compounds that give it significant free radical scavenging properties, which protect the liver from damage due to oxidative stress. Chicory offers liver protection through increased activity of enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidants. Chicory also has a deep, rich flavor that is comparable to coffee.
- Fennel Tea – An antispasmodic, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic, fennel can be used in a number of ways, including as a poultice for snake bites and has even been used to remove poisons from the body! Fennel makes wonderful detoxifying concoction (tea), eases digestion, and is commonly used to soothe colic spasm in infants.
Adding these herbs to your diet as a therapeutic tea is a great way to get their liver-protecting properties while enjoying their delicious flavors. Try Liver Detox Tea for a delicious blend of these and other supporting liver herbs or add Turmeric 95 supplements to your diet to ensure your liver health.