Body odor is usually the result of bacteria feeding on perspiration or other bodily fluids, releasing gasses that we can smell. Sweat comes in two forms: Eccrine, which is mostly salts and water and is released to cool the body; and Apocrine, which is a milky substance that bacteria can feed on and is released in the arm pits and groin in response to emotional stress.
When health problems arise the pH and composition of our perspiration can change, causing the odors produced by our bodies to change.
Check out these conditions that may result in an increase of body odor:
- Diabetes – Uncontrolled high blood sugar may lead to a condition known as ketoacidosis, which can result in pungent, fruity or sweet-smelling breath and body odor. GlucoCare® supports normal blood sugar levels, normal lipid metabolism and normal pancreatic function as well as healthy triglycerides and cholesterol levels that are already within normal range. Diabetes and high blood sugar should always be treated and monitored by a physician.
- Hyperthyroidism – When the thyroid produces too much of its hormones, it can cause the body to perspire more, resulting in an increase in body odor. Thyroid Support offers complete support with essential vitamins and minerals for normal, healthy thyroid function If you sweat excessively, this condition should be evaluated by a physician.
- Kidney and Liver Issues – The kidneys and liver detoxify the body, filtering out chemicals from drugs and the environment and cellular waste. When these organs are not functioning correctly, they do not work as efficiently, leading to an increase in body odor. While kidney and liver problems should be treated by a physician, a healthy diet that provides the nutrients necessary to support the kidneys and liver is important, and can be difficult to maintain. UltraNourish provides the greens and other superfoods that your body needs to maximize liver and kidney function. Other excellent supplements that support your liver are Clinical LiverSupport and Ultrathistle.
- Candida – Candida can become overgrown in the body, causing digestive distress, thrush in the mouth and yeast infections in the vagina – all of which can result in bad body odors. Ultra Probiotic Formula contains 35 billion living cells per capsule, making it a very powerful, high-potency formula that can restore healthy levels of beneficial bacteria in the stomach and intestines, helping to stop candida overgrowth.
- Post Nasal Drip and Sinusitis – Mucus and infection in the sinuses and mucus running down the back of the throat can cause chronic bad breath, or halitosis. The use of a neti-pot can help reduce chronic post nasal drip, and Sinus Clear can offer sinus pressure relief, but sinus infections should be treated by a physician.
- Tooth Decay – Bad breath, or halitosis, can also be caused by decaying teeth. If sinus infection or post nasal drip is not causing it, visit a dentist to determine if rotting teeth is the cause.
We all stink from time to time – like after a good workout. Good personal hygiene, a healthy and well-balanced diet, and use of deodorant and antiperspirant can greatly reduce body odor. But when there is persistent odor, it may be time to visit a physician to determine if the cause is a significant health problem.